Fo0die dined as a guest of Laurent Bakery and as such, the rating does not give any consideration to customer service.
The venue is located on Whitehorse Road where 1P parking is available on the actual road itself. Our recommendation is to turn down Rochester Road to park behind the venue; google map calls this small parking area, ‘Balwyn Public Parking’ which has 2P and also unmarked parking bays (which we assume means no limit applies).
If you park behind the venue, you can enter via the back which walks straight into Laurent’s undercover outdoor space (this is where we sat). Ordering is done at the counter where you pay for your meal and get handed a table number. The food and drinks are brought out to the table once it is ready.
As you can imagine the counter glass displays are very impressive. Filled with delicate mini desserts and fresh-looking savoury options. It was difficult trying to narrow down what we wanted to eat for brunch.
While both of us are familiar with Laurent Bakery’s cakes, we were unfamiliar with their savoury options so we were pleasantly surprised by the range and choices available.
We started off with the roast beef foccacia which was nicely layered, mildly flavoured which Mr J loved. The croque mushroom was everything one would imagine, cheesy goodness with crusty cheesy bits.
And of course, no one can visit Laurent and not pick up one of their individual cakes. The cakes are delicate and a joy to cut into; revealing the layers within.
Dishes that make up this review
- Roast beef foccacia; roast beef, tomato, lettuce, horseradish dressing, butter, wholegrain mustard, pepper ($15)
- Croque mushroom; pain de mie, layered with mushroom and bechamel, sauteed mushroom, shredded cheese and oven baked till golden ($9.70)
- Mietta; chocolate sponge base, creameux baileys, hazelnut praline, mocha mouse, vanilla/chocolate glaze, chocolate macarons, gold leaf ($9.90)
- Rubis; white chocolate mousse, raspberry creameux, lime and almond flourless sponge covered in red glaze ($9.90)
- Monte carlo; chocolate mousse, cafe creme brulee, flourless chocolate biscuit, milk and dark chocolate glaze ($9.90)